Parents Play a Role
Montessori Stepping Stones
We are a private school located in the metropolitan Detroit area. Our mission is to create a positive, success-based, Montessori environment in which students, parents, and staff thrive. By clicking on the titles below, you can view our current calendar to see important events at Montessori Stepping Stones – Download our Parents Handbook to get all the details of our school and everything related to your child’s education. We also host a fundraiser each year, so make sure to read about what we do to help others.
Remember you can always request a tour of our facilities, or if you need more information we are always available to answer any questions you may have.
2017/2018 School Calendar
• Thursday, August 31st — Parent orientation meeting for new families (adults only) 7:00 PM
• Friday, September 1st — Visit day for students, open house 10:30 AM – 12:00PM
• Monday, September 4th — Closed for Labor Day
• Tuesday, September 5th — First day of school
• Saturday, September 23rd — School Picnic 10:00AM – 1:00PM
• Saturday,September 30th — Rain date for school picnic 10:00AM – 1:00PM
• Monday, October 9th — Closed for staff professional development day (no school or childcare)
• Tuesday, October 31st — International Festival (no school or childcare after 12:00 PM for pre., kdg., and elem.)
• Wednesday, November 22nd – Friday, November 24th — Closed for fall break (no school or childcare for 3 school days)
• Monday, November 27th — School resumes
• Wednesday, December 20th — Holiday music program (2 ticket limit per family)
• Thursday, December 21st —Wednesday, January 3rd — Closed for holiday break (no school or childcare for 10 school days)
• Thursday, January 4th — School resumes
• Monday, January 15th — Closed for staff professional development day (no school or childcare)
• Tuesday, January 23rd and Thursday, January, 25th — VIP Nights 6:30PM – 7:30PM
• Friday, February 16th — Tuesday, February 20th — Closed for parent/teacher conferences (no school or childcare for 3 school days)
• Wednesday, February 21st — School resumes
• Friday, March 9th — Closed for staff professional development day (no school or childcare)
• Friday, March 30th — Closed for Easter weekend (no school or childcare)
• Monday, April 2nd — Friday, April 6th — Closed for spring break (no school or childcare for 5 school days)
• Monday, April 9th — School resumes
• Monday, May 28th — Closed for Memorial Day (no school or childcare)
• Wednesday, June 13th — Last day of school – Music program (2 ticket per family limit)
• Thursday, June 14th & Friday, June 15th — Closed to set up summer program (no school or childcare)
• Monday, June 18th — First day of summer program
• Wednesday, July 4th — Closed for Independence Day (no school or childcare)
• Friday, August 24th — Last day of summer program
• Monday, August 27th — Friday, August 31st — Closed for staff workshop week (no school or childcare)
• Thursday, August 30th — Parent orientation meeting for new families (adults only) 7:00 PM
• Friday, August 31st — Visit day for students, open house 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM
• Tuesday, September 4th — First day of school
Weather Closings — Since we do not use buses, our school closes only in the most extreme weather. Even then, our childcare program will remain open for those parents who must go to work. Please feel free to let your child be absent whenever you are concerned about road conditions.
Click on the link below to download your copy of our Parent Handbook.
Our annual sale of holiday wreaths is the only major fundraiser for Montessori Stepping Stones. We are very hopeful that every family will put some real effort into this worthwhile project. Please consider the following points: Our only other source of income is tuition, which must go toward the basic operating expenses of the school. We must rely on this fundraiser as our primary method of acquiring new materials and supplies. Montessori materials are unique and wonderful, but they are very expensive. For example, one item such as a puzzle map costs over $100.00. It is very important to replace the Montessori materials as they begin to wear. Children are inspired to handle beautiful items with great care and respect, and it truly enhances the learning experience to work with fresh, new materials. Every single dollar that is earned from this fundraiser will be used to pay for replacement materials and supplies or add new items to our extensive curriculum. All of the children will benefit from your fund raising efforts. If you prefer not to sell the wreaths, you could make a cash donation to the fundraiser instead. We receive approximately fifty percent profit for each item that is sold. Your support of our school and your work on this project is greatly valued and appreciated. More importantly, you directly impact the quality of our program by making it possible to add and replace materials as they are needed and pay for our special supplies. Our wonderful school exists, to a great degree, because of your continued support!
You may have already noticed the paper trees located just inside the entrances to 174 and 178 Cass – our “Giving Trees.” Although our teachers appreciate the thoughtful gifts we receive from many of our students during the holidays and other special occasions such as your child’s own birthday or an end of the year thank you gift, the greatest gift you can give any teacher is a contribution to her classroom. In turn, this type of gift benefits your child directly and many Montessori students for years to come. Each of the paper leaves on the Giving Tree represents an item or supply that is desired for a particular classroom. These materials may be a new addition to the room or something that needs to be replaced after many years of use. The paper leaf contains all of the information needed to make the purchase. Most items are from our favorite teacher supply catalogs and can be shipped to your home or directly to the school. Remove the leaf from the tree so that you have all of the information you need. This also helps to avoid receiving duplicate items. The requests cover a very wide range of prices. You may choose one or more leaves if you desire. Some of the items may be quite expensive, as Montessori materials often are. In these cases, you may want to get together with other families to purchase the gift. If you are considering presenting your child’s teacher(s) with a gift, please consider this option. We will leave items posted on the tree all year long.
Box Tops for Education
We have decided to participate in the General Mills Box Tops for Education program. Each little logo that we collect is worth ten to fifteen cents in cash for our school. If you use these products, please save these box tops for us. Remember to ask family members, friends, and co-workers to save the logos for you!
Wells of Love - Fundraiser
What We Do
Wells of Love is the service learning program of Amman Imman: Water is Life.
Montessori Stepping Stones has been raising money for years for Wells of Love: The children bring in small amounts throughout the year and put in our Well of Love Cup and when it is full we send the funds to the organization!
Amman Imman empowers and helps preserve Africa’s most vulnerable indigenous peoples and engages students worldwide as socially conscious leaders. Through our Africa-based program, Oases of Life, we establish points of civilization that flourish, beginning with the construction of permanent water sources. Our programs emphasize the role of women and youth as a guiding force for societal stability, optimism, and resilience.
Since 2006, Amman Imman has been supplying permanent sources of water in the Azawak of West Africa to save and improve the lives of the people living there.
The Wells of Love program was also initiated in 2006. Students in over 100 schools have been empowered as “Heroes of Compassion” –empathic leaders with caring, philanthropic spirits–by bringing water and hope to the children and adults living in the Azawak. Serving as a conduit between these populations and the rest of the world, Amman Imman raises awareness and engages individuals of all ages to take action.
With the help of these Heroes, Amman Imman is constructing borehole wells across the Azawak region. Each well provides life-giving water to over 25,000 people and animals. These Oases of Life make it possible for schools to be built, agricultural, reforestation and environmental protection programs to be developed, and food and health aid to be delivered.
The children of Montessori Stepping Stones are grateful to be able to contribute to this worthy project.
Request a Tour
We are always happy to provide a guided tour of our wonderful facilities. Our staff will answer any inquiry you may have regarding our school, and can provide an admissions application for you. Montessori Stepping Stones has over 31 years of providing excellent education and care.
Using the form below, please submit your request for a tour, or feel free to leave us a message with any questions or information that you feel would be helpful to us in serving your needs… Thank you!